Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cooking 1.0.1: Chicken Pot Pie Biscuits (Day 33)


I have a major major obsession with pot pies. This is probably because my freshman year of college the only food that my dorm served that was even mildly tolerable was Marie Calendar chicken pot pies (hello 27 lbs weight gain) and I begin eating them on the reg and truly never stopped. While the Marie Calendar ones are great they are an insane 1,100 calories so I almost never eat them. I've always wanted to try and make one at home but I had been warned that the process was time consuming and messy. While browsing pinterest the other day I came across a recipe for chicken pot pie pasta. While the idea of putting the filling on top of pasta didn't really appeal to me I thought that it would be the perfect topping for the grands buttermilk biscuits I had in my freezer. I had all the ingredients in my fridge besides chicken so I actually decided to make a veggie version. The result was INCREDIBLE. Definitely the best thing I've made so far. The next night, I ran out and bought chicken to make a chicken version of the same dish. #Amazing.

Ingredients (serves two)
  • two grands biscuits
  • Two cups chicken broth
  • Two stalks celery, chopped
  • Two carrots, chops
  • 1/2 cup chopped red, white, or yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • Three teaspoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Preparation

  • Prepare biscuits according to package directions
  • While biscuits are cooking, melt butter in a large skillet. Add peas, carrots, onions and celery. Cook over medium-high heat till peas are thawed and onions are translucent
  • When vegetables have softened, add the flour and stir
  • Gradually add the chicken broth as you continually stir the mixture. You can add more flour or more broth to achieve your desired thickness. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Take biscuits out of oven, cut in half, and top with mixture.

My Dad enjoying a pot pie at yard house.


No comments:

Post a Comment